BLAST FURNACE U4 - UCKANGE
Blast furnace U4 is a strong symbol of the Fensch Valley’s industrial past and it was saved thanks to its inclusion in the Additional Inventory drawn up by the French Historic Monuments department. It is the last of the 6 blast furnaces once used by the smelting works built in 1890 and, today, it is one of a very small number of historic buildings serving as reminders of the 20th-century steelmaking industry in France. Sixteen years after the works closed, it has become a place for culture and heritage. The U4 blast furnace has also become a modern art site, thanks to the illumination entitled “All the Suns”, by Claude Lévêque.